Five Key PRINTER Features
1. Printing speed. Laser printers are faster than ink-jet models, though high-end ink-jets are catching up.
2. Wireless. Being able to forego the hassle of a cable is a must for users who want the convenience of printing from their laptops at their brokerage.
3. Ink monitor. Most ink-jet models have a monitor to let you know when the cartridges are getting low, but the reliability varies.
4. Ink costs. Cheaper printers typically use ink less efficiently and may end up costing you far more in ink than you anticipated.
5. Noise factor. Ink-jets are more likely to disturb the peace than laser machines.
In the Pipeline
Before long you should be able to command your printer to copy, scan, or fax using the sound of your voice. But even before that occurs, printers’ front-panel buttons may be headed into extinction as LCD touch screens take over, with easily understood menus leading you through the commands. Another advance on the horizon: Printing directly from a flash drive should become standard so that any visitor to your office can print on demand.
Canon PIXMA MX320.
High performance all-in-one ink-jet printer, copier, scanner, and fax at a low price. Prints photos without borders and can adjust color to improve a photo’s appearance. All-in-one machine is a great space saver. Cost: $49.99
Canon PIXMA iP100.
Rugged and compact, this portable printer delivers high-quality results wherever you are. Color resolution and printing times have been improved over earlier models. Cost: $249.99
Epson WorkForce 1100.
Affordable business ink-jet printer with speeds up to 30 pages per minute for black and white and 17 pages per minute for color. It’s a wide-format printer, so it handles prints of up to 13 by 44 inches. And crisp fonts make color printing look great. Cost: $179.99
HP Officejet 100.
Super-fast wireless printing on the go. Prints easily from notebook PCs, phones, cameras, and memory cards. It weighs only 5 pounds, including the optional lithium-ion batteries. Its antivibration design allows for quiet printing in public spaces. Cost: $279.99
Dell 5130cdn Color.
A high-end high performance laser printer that prints up to 47 letter-sized pages per minute. Can be used wirelessly, making it easy for practitioners stopping by briefly to print from their laptops. Photo-quality output that works seamlessly with Macs or PCs. Cost: $1,399.99
HP and Dell are REALTOR Benefits® Program partners. Check REALTOR.org for information on discounted products.