Saturday
August 30, 2014

HazMat Team Cleans Up After Agent

|
-A A +A

HazMat Team Cleans Up After Agent

A hazardous materials team was dispatched after a real estate agent removed 40 gallons of toxic chemicals from a Novato, Calif., home for sale. 

The real estate agent said the home was a probate sale because the owner had died. The the owner—who was an inventor—had left cyanide, formaldehyde, and other toxic chemicals in the home. The agent took the chemicals to her husband’s auto body shop, believing the business could dispose of the chemicals. 

But the auto shop contacted police after realizing they couldn’t dispose of the materials, and the fire department was then dispatched. The fire department then contacted the Marin County, Calif., hazardous materials team, which took five hours to safely remove the chemicals. 

The chemicals were potentially lethal, and emergency officials in the area were contacted to be on stand-by as the chemicals were removed. 

"This stuff never should have been removed from the residence," Novato Fire Capt. Alex Bowlds told the Marin Independent Journal.

Source: “Novato real estate agent removes lethal chemicals from home, prompting hazmat incident,” Marin Independent Journal (San Rafael, Calif.) (April 5, 2013)